Tuesday, March 12, 2013

“Other People’s Issues”

Or, OPI, for an acronym driven society-)) [and ‘cause I, too, like acronyms].

Having been on the net for a long time, and lived real life, --much longer--, I have seen OPI often.

I am, at my most basic human source, a peace loving woman. I do not like hassles at all, I avoid them like the plague they are, and I see those that come into my “range of interests” [or, ROI] as usually driven by some people who have issues of one sort or another.

I like to look into things a bit before making hard decisions. Society as a mass, driven by news crawls, dis-information from all sources, mis-information in many ways, has caused many people [the majority] to simply not look further than simplistic things due to the mass of information we all get in so many ways.

I liken it to owning land. Where I live people own lots of land, sizes of which have amazed those I discuss it with from other countries. But in Texas we have a lot of land. Granted, a goodly amount of it nobody would want [other than for cattle grazing], but that is similar in many countries also, I am sure.

But whatever size of land people own, their core home areas usually are inside of an acre or so. I own 5 acres of land, but most of it is untouched. It is nice to have it that way, and I suppose if I had the money I might pay some people to clean it up a bit, I don't know, I don't have the money to even consider that.

So, similarly, with what people do on the internet, they tend to find their own acre of space, and there is where their interests are focused.

This is, of course, a very simplistic concept, I know this…I am simply drawing up an analogy, of sorts, you see-))

But I like to start things from a simplistic view, because most things have a simplistic basic basis.

Often I see and have seen discussions on the net go out of control, and quickly, sometimes people commenting on something while another is also commenting at the same time...and that other comment may in fact add to their considerations of their own comment [huh???].

I remember when the net was getting going and people were so excited. There started to spring up various comments on a thing called “netiquette”, much of it the same thing passed around, but sometimes you would come across some new item that made sense. I even had a website in one of the first communities, called Geocities, with links to some of that, ‘cause, I like polite societies and people who practice it.

Politeness is hard to find anymore, anywhere. It has been all distorted so many times by so many people and societies problems. I still like it when a Man opens the door for me, and I always thank them and smile. But that has been corrupted so much many men who might do this, do not, for fear the woman may find it offensive. I say, if you're a man who likes to do this, then do it anyway, and simply smile and move on if you get the one or two who do not appreciate this small act of chivalry.

People tend to gravitate to those people and things that relate to their own interests. This may seem to be an obvious comment but I think that also those same people do not fully understand this. I call them people who simply cannot see further than their own noses, another comment used much over the years and restated in much cooler ways by people who are much smarter than I.

I used to consider that I may have made a good sociologist. I find mass populations studies to be quite fascinating. Life didn't work out that way anyways, so who knows, really.

I find it interesting how some people are able to influence so many others with a few simple well placed words, whispered in the right ears, at the right time. And I find it interesting that some people, who seem to have no rhyme or reason for saying and doing the things they do and say, can influence others to simply “follow along”, blindly, similar to lapdogs.

I think this is due to what I started this little missive on, ROI and with a touch of information overload.

For an example. We get Constitutional Amendments on our voting ballots quite regularly. Now, what most people read, debate on, and vote on, is the words on the ballot. What most people do not comprehend is that those words are carefully calculated to engender a mass response and to obtain a desired outcome in the vote.

--AND--Those words are NOT the full thing they are voting on, and in most cases [if not all], the law being considered is actually quite different.

You see, this is a prime example of information overload that the masses of peoples simply will not, and the writers understand this well, go beyond the words in the ballots to see what is actually being voted on. The masses -trust- because masses do this, and because they have to many other things to do and read.

Thus, things get voted on all the time, and only do some of us realize later, the reality of what was done, and we have lost something else, voted upon by the masses who simply will not do their homework.

Then you get people who are steadfast one party or another and go on and on about the virtues of that political party [or, analogously, their favorite people] and will argue until they are blue in the face the virtues of such things, when it is apparent to the few who look further, that they are simply unknowing shills and basic sycophants in another person’s wars --OPI--, battles and issues.

I will tell another personal story and call this quits. Not the full story as it would go on longer than I care to, but the synopsis will tell it ok to those who can see this-))

I rent spaces on my land. One of them has hookups for trailers; water, septic and power. I once had rented to a girlfriend and her boyfriend. He brought in his trailer and all was well, for a time.

However, I learned that she was letting him influence her in negative ways and I did not like what I was seeing, but being polite, and not given to making hard decisions quickly, time passed. I tried to talk to her and her final response was that she saw the issues but choose to go along with it anyways, so, nothing else I could do and she had made it clear she was now complicit.

He was running his air conditioner at around 65 degrees Fahrenheit which was causing my electricity bill to be quite high. So, after talking to her personally and her telling me she would do nothing on this, I went over and talked to them together.

I laid the groundwork and told him he was adding to my overall power bill to much, that I did not mind paying for reasonable use but that running his air conditioner so low made it run all the time…and I asked him to simply try to run it at around 75 or so. He refused, and was even rude about it.

So I told them both that if they did not change this then I would cut their power off. They didn't, and I did.

The issue escalated, as often happens when you are dealing with limited ROI, and I told them to leave and that they were now trespassing.

So, being the kind of person I had already seen him to be, this guy calls the law and reports that I threatened them, lying about what I said, also, but having my now ex-girlfriend backing him up, a cop came out and issued a citation to me for “assault by threat”.

I was pissed, but I also knew I had a problem now that had escalated and I needed to smarten up and deal with it properly.

So I read up on renter laws and posted on their trailer I was changing the rules and that they were not allowed to have any vehicles on the property, and I gave them 3 days notice to vacate. I also told them that I would be having the trailer hauled away soon. Eventually they moved out in 3 weeks or so after all this happened, but had no electricity during that time.

I also had to go to court to defend this lie that the law allows people to do so easily. I was not happy at all..lol.

So now I am dealing with a prosecutor who only wants a conviction, who first offers me his ==deal== for a reduced fine. I refuse and counter with my ==deal== that he drop the charges.

Long story short, I was not, in anyway whatsoever, going to let them make me a criminal. I knew I could win if it went to court, and I knew it would likely never anyways. I knew that this prosecutor did not care at all for me, he was simply doing his job…so I played on that.

He did try to threaten me with additional charges but that all never happened, the charges were eventually dropped; tho it took some effort...my point here is, tho sometimes some things are simple to see, often they are not…and if you take things at face value, you are doing yourself a disservice, and doing others who must live with that disservice, one also.

Of course, all this is very simplistic, and I could go on and on forever, but I am just streaming a little bit of consciousness, here, mainly for myself, ‘cause I like to write sometimes-))

8 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that most people do not look at issues any more than what is clearly available to them. For many the thoughts of looking behind the obvious doesn't occur to them. Of course this is their right (I don't like that word as it's used far too much, but cant think of an alternative lol) to think (or not) however they feel. Putting this into perspective and realizing that we don't have to be motivated by what others think is great. It's sometimes VERY hard to do - but great advice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post Miney - it was a good reality check. All the best to you and yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ty Chibo...just some thoughts, is all-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the things I go by, personally, is this little cliche "Perception is Reality".


    If you think about it, this is so very true, in so many ways-))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Miney!It makes me want to get t shirts made, or start a group or something called "politness is hard to find"

    ReplyDelete
  6. awww-)) hehe...you get the t-shirts and I will wear 'em...and, ty-))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha. Hell, THIS makes me wanna go out and work for 6 hours and hopefully have enough to buy one of those Tshirts and have some polite women ride with me to V's group she started for this cause BUT!!! I have a feeling I wont find any willing to open my limo door for me to get in soooooooooooo, scratch that idea. great job Betty(minethere), ty. I love it when you like to write sometimes. :) Oh, and I also pull the chair out for ladies when I find them and slide it close to table. For nonladies? wellllll, you know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. -))) ty Shawn for commenting. I always enjoy your interesting sense of humor-))

    ReplyDelete