Sunday, December 28, 2014

Opensim 2014 looking back

I like writing down my rather casual but hopefully informative thoughts I have concerning OpenSim during the past year. My desire is that people may find one or two or more links to further explore things. Or simply find it a passing blog of interest.

There is no special format here, but I do tend to focus on things related to hypergating, which is my own main focus.

My blog from last year shows quite a bit of change has happened.

One of my favorite commercial grids 3rd Rock Grid enabled hypergating for their residents in November, and an after HG enabling article shows they are very happy with it.

I am currently in funkie avie mode
The uniqueness of how they decided to do this is to have all regions HG disabled and resident renters can open if they wish to. Most are but I hear rumblings that some are leery of this, so are in a more watch and see mode. This is typical of closed commercial grid types of people, so it is no surprise to me. But they have enabled many of the grid owned regions, especially the ones they have events on.

Now I can use my main avie to HG and attend events as is my preference.

As well, a good friend of mine and her hubby are rebuilding their AAcme City on two regions they are renting. I am given to understand they can get the OARs so if this is true they need never be bothered with an entire rebuild, they can simply have the OARs uploaded anyplace they wish to do so. So now, for examples, if they used a hosting company such as Zetamex they could upload via the webgui tools, such as Kitely also offers.

She told me they are enjoying rebuilding it anyway, so that is cool too.

Another previously closed grid TangleGrid has recently launched their own open style grid. On their main grid they have chosen the route of enabling hypergating on a few regions in order to keep a better eye on activity. So they have a main region HG address:

tanglegrid.net:8032:hg station 1 (more information here.)

As more and more grids enable hypergating we will reach a tipping point [and might have already in some regards] where enough impetus will fuel even more blogs, articles and events, which will also bring in new people whom have previously never heard of hypergating or whom have only heard the negatives mostly of a disinformation sort.

To my eyes a distributed and interconnected Metaverse [in kind similar to the internet as a whole] by way of hypergating is the future and basis for whatever other changes may come about. We need to get there, and the sooner the better.

Gone are the days of lock-in that SL started, gone are the days of needing to make an avatar in multiple closed grids...you can simply have a main avatar who travels, explores, meets others, collaborates, who attends events.

With other features such as Varregions and IARs and the freedoms inherent in the software people can have their own virtual lives as they wish them to be, and not artificially limited by some Grid Admin or Company seeking to profit.

It is fun for me to watch and participate in this and I see a very interesting future.

This article is pretty much the telling point, just as prior articles showed more land mass in Core OS than SL, now we have the hypergated Meta surpassing the closed concepts outside of SL. A metric inside a metric, if you will.

Of course there will always be people who for one reason or another will find fault in number crunching, and that's cool, really, because when one looks at all this in a broad brushstroke kinda way, the overall trending is what is important.

There has also been some new activity from people new to the HG life.

Roxy Gellar aka Roxy Roller on g+ has been working hard doing all that is needed to bring entertainers to Kitely and promote them out into the greater Meta. So far these are some of them.

Another newish person out promoting the hypergated Meta is Chic Aeon who reports in well thought out and informative blogs. She has joined in with g+ and is an active participant in the largest and most informative g+ Community Opensim Virtual which I suggest you join if you haven't yet. Talla Adam has done a wonderful job of creating a community of opensim users who contribute to it in many ways.

Zaphod Enoch continues to be very actively posting articles regularly on a variety of people and regions and grids. His blog is one I suggest you regularly visit and add in your g+ circles.

Other cool people such as Shawn and Leighton and Christine help people keep up with happenings also.

Thirza and her friends are running a weekly Hypergrid Safari where they are also very much interested in helping new people learn to hypergate. It is one of the top groups I recommend new to the HG join.

Bullet physics are out and people are slowly but surely coding for it specifically. One whom I like to watch is Shin Ingen as he does very good videos of what he is involved in, watch him.

Mike Hart is also very active and owns some really great regions especially for those into vehicles. Joe Builder does some interesting things also.

And I still call Metropolis my base and I have one region there, but more-so nowadays I use the moniker "ephemeral wanderer - Child of the Metaverse" lol. So Metro has my main avie but I have my inventory and OARs saved in my own computer [and in google drive] and mostly I use it to jump to other places via HG and attend Events in the grid, which are always pleasant affairs.

My region is very beautiful with all sorts of quality content shared by the creators. I am continually adding to it. You can hypergate to it via:

hypergrid.org:8002:minethere

There are so many good, thoughtful, nice and sharing people I could never mention them all, but if you join in some places I note via links you can see for yourself.

I am very excited to see more people out sharing other peoples' regions, freebies, events, etc.

This should be enough for a nice article to help others see the way to learning more about all this. You might also follow things I note on the sidebars. There are tons of things going on, you only need to find the right people and places to see for yourselves. It is fun, it is relaxing, it is freedom. Peace out.

14 comments:

  1. Love the 'Child of the Metaverse' ... great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ty heartsis-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmHl0ZhhZLc

    ReplyDelete
  3. I blipped into 3rd rock, ran into a couple looking for help to HG and gave them what I could think of. I noticed a whole lot of regions there say "closed to foreign avatars" when you try to visit them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. In time they, like others will see there is no need to bar us from entering their regions. Foreign avatars makes us sound like we are trying to invade or something lol.
    I enjoyed your perspectives here, Miney. Let's see what next year will bring us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Their model in this is to have all regions disabled by default. They are opening the core regions as they go along, which is about 130 grid owned regions.

    The others depends on what they know or don't know and help they can get to better understand the value in opening. Some may just not want to, but the grid is open and that is a very good thing for us-)



    So nice of you to help that couple-)) wolfieeeeeeeeee

    ReplyDelete
  6. yesss let's invade like the Vikings!!! lol and ty, yes I expect we shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are just so gooooooooooooooooooood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. noooo, you are soooooo gooooooooooooooooooooodddddddddddddddddd!! [I win!!]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good wrap up, Miney. Just a note to add info about the two other hypergrid tours I know of.

    Nara Malone is leading a Hypergrid Nights tour on Wednesdays at 6pm PT (meet at world.narasnook:8900) They used to repeat the Hypergrid Safari itinerary from the Wed. tours, but now they do their own thing.

    The Metaverse Tour meets every Saturday at 1pm PT. (meet at grid.kitely.com:8002:Kitely Welcome Center) We've been going around the grids for 6 months now and it's still fun to discover new places with other folks.

    Tours are a nice way to introduce people to the ease (and occasional challenges) of hypergrid travel. I can imagine that there will be even more groups wandering around the grids as the grids and the population get larger.



    See you on the grids!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Serene, for adding that information. I agree it is wonderful this is happening and I also agree there will be more such groups as things continue to get busier. I think 2015 will show a watershed of activity in the hypergated Metaversum.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was blipping around the other night and found a couple of great places, one was the freebie garden center on Francogrid- loads of really nice looking trees, shrubs and plants
    HG Freebies Garden, and the other was Bob Solo's AVW where I landed on the welcome sim.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool, thank you wolfie for adding that-) FrancoGrids basic hypergate address is;


    hg.francogrid.org:80:



    You can go there, which is their welcome region and find other regions via your map, or search for the ones mentioned by wolf, or both-))

    ReplyDelete