Monday, November 30, 2015

SL regions in OpenSim

OpenSim offers a lot of pluses for those leaving SL: especially regions that their builders and owners decided to close in SL.

I thought it might be nice to have a page just to highlight those. If anyone knows of others, please say so in the comments and let me know some background, or where I can find information about it...Thank You!

Regions can be saved in OAR files and saved on a person's computer and other places where they can be safe-kept in case of the various issues that can happen with software.

IAR files can be created and backed up of one's entire inventory.

VarRegions allow very large contiguous landmasses that do away with the old tech region crossing issues.

Uploads are generally free, especially if you run your own Simulator instances.

Things that in SL have become ubiquitous generally make it into Core OpenSim in a timely manner, such as Mesh and Materials.

And there are things that SL does not have, such as NPCs and this NPC wiki.



I followed a link to this blog and was reminded (I am aggravated at myself for forgetting to add this...I suppose I neglected it due to him not rebuilding Phaze Demesness per se) of Fred Beckhusen grid in Opensim. Fred does an awful lot of good stuff for Opensim.  You can keep yourselves busy following his Blog. HGTP@

outworldz.com:9000


I was told that these Tahoa Mountains were previously in SL. So I dropped by and the 4 regions are very nice. I rode a water slide and there are other activities. A pretty place to take your partner and/or friends.

HGTP@              hg.osgrid.org:80:Tahoa Mountain Tiger



This one they have given us much history about it.

HGTP@     hypergrid.org:8002:Condensation Land



I saw this here. Since they tell us they moved from SL, I wanted to highlight it. You will be offered a notecard with some rules (this is a Star Trek roleplay region) and Copper Tomsen is the region owner. I do hope you contact them if interested.

HGTP@     hypergrid.org:8002:Gateway to Stars



Another ex-pat now running 9 regions in the Metropolis Grid is Carima.

Their OpenSimWorld page does a better job than I could of describing this. Some quoted words:

"Carima, a Medieval Fantasy Roleplay once founded at SL by Linde Kronfeld. Risen there from a half-sim up to 9 Islands and was well known there. Due to the raising maintenance costs the owners decided to reduce to finally one sim at SL which was even given up at 2015. " (ed: I cleaned up the paragraph a bit)

There are good photos there also, and here is one of them.

hypergrid.org:8002:Carima



My next highlighted region would have to be the Ivory City created by Lumiere Noir which has been recreated on a special grid by him: but as he has died his partner finished it.

Not to lesson the fact of his death, I think he, and his partner Tosha Tyran, would like it if more people know of this, and go visit.

I don't log into SL anymore but it seems it is still in SL as this article mentions. But it is worthy of noting that if some issue removes it from SL, it is here also...though of course issues could happen in OpenSim in this case it is saved as an OAR and backed up I would imagine. OARs can't be done in SL.

This article also mentions it but the region name of Ugbar changed to what I note here.

It is on a 4 region VarRegion in the Sanctuary grid and can be visited most easily via any hypergrid enabled place/grid. The HGTP is

sanctuary.homelinux.org:8012 (then find Ivory City in your map)



This one is rather a recent addition using the Metropolis Grid as its base. Here is some background in the Metro forums. Here is a video of the one in SL.

Joseph made this video of the place in Metropolis.

A friend recently gave me this new information.

"There is a new version of it called Lost Gardens of Apollo Memorial. It's owned by Delphi Bernard. I don't know if he built it or is just the owner but it has more up to date builds and trees, textures, etc. Not sure when it was opened. It's in a region called Sorbon Beach. I checked it out, very nice place."

HGTP@ hypergrid.org:8002:The Lost Gardens of Apollo


No comments:

Post a Comment